|New Orleans City Directories in the Louisiana
City directories have been published for New Orleans in several different formats and by several
different publishers since before Louisiana statehood in 1812. This quick list of directories available
in the Louisiana Division is offered as an alternative to the complicated search that would be
required to identify all city directory entries in the Library's automated catalog. It does not provide
full bibliographic description, only the dates available along with some practical notes.
In 1955, R.L. Polk began publishing a separate New Orleans Suburban directory. The division has
copies of all that have been published. In 1966, Haines & Company began publishing their
CrissCross directory. The division has copies of all that have been published.
- The first three volumes are not city directories in the true sense but they do provide names and
addresses of at least some residents of the Crescent City for the years indicated. Library staff
will, on receipt of the appropriate fees, search the available book versions for 1805 & 1807. We do
not search the 1809 volume.
- The first "real" city directory for New Orleans was published in 1811. Publication of succeeding
volumes was irregular for several years, as indicated by the listing that follows. These directories
are available on microfiche unless indicated otherwise.
- 1827 (16mm roll film)
- 1830 (35mm roll film)
- 1835 (16mm roll film)
- 1837 (16mm foll film)
- 1844 (16mm roll film)
- 1860 (16mm roll film) NOTE: This is a not very good microfilm. We suggest that researchers consider requesting copies from the 1861 directory as an alternative.
- 1861 (35mm roll film)
- No city directories were published during the Civil War years (1862-1865). Publication resumed
following the war and continued as follows.
- 1938 NOTE: The first directory to include cross-reference listings by street address.
- 1945-1946 (a single volume)
- 1952-1953 (a single volume)
- 1954-1955 (a single volume)
- 2009 - present
Return to Louisiana Division Information